Lenten Study Day 5
I’ve Got a Secret
Woman at the Well
During His time on Earth, Jesus didn’t tell people that He was (and is) the Messiah. The one time He did share this secret with someone is in this story. Now, wouldn’t you think if He was going to tell someone something this important, He would choose His disciples or someone really important? Instead He told this secret to a Samaritan woman.
Believe me, for Jesus to talk to this woman about ANYTHING, let alone something really important, was against all the rules in those days. Men only talked to women in their families. Women had no rights in those days. They couldn’t talk to men outside their families. Also this woman was a Samaritan. Other people, especially people from Jesus’ community, looked down on Samaritans. Finally, this woman is living with a man that is not her husband and this isn’t the first time she has done this.
WOW! What was Jesus thinking? I’m can’t say for sure but to me this shows how Jesus came to change the status of people in society. I don’t think He liked the fact some people were considered better than other people and some people were considered very bad, not because of something they did but because of their heritage.
God created all of us in His image. Each of us is made in the image of God and Jesus knew that when He began talking to this woman. I think Jesus wanted to show that He sees all of us as being exactly the same. He also shows us that the Good News is for everyone.
It was just a brief conversation about water yet, in those few moments, Jesus changed so much in the life of this woman and in the world.
1. Do people today treat everyone like they were made in the image of God?
2. How do you think it makes people feel when they are treated like they are less important than other people?
3. Think about this: Do you ever treat other people like you’re better than they are? If you do, why do you do this?
4. Consider this: Jesus had 3 reasons not to talk to the woman at the well. Yet He not only talked to her, He shared something very important with her. He then told her to share this information with others. Jesus made that woman feel special.
5. Who are some of the people in your life that may believe other people are better than they are?
What can you do to help them feel special? How can you help them see that they are special to God?
6. The woman at the well left Jesus and shared the Good News with everyone she knew. She is the first person to preach the Gospel. We never know the impact we may have on another person’s life.